February 1, 2017
In our continuing quest to introduce more people (including children) to the
benefits of chiropractic care we are offering a complimentary consultation to see if chiropractic can help. Call the office for an appointment and bring in this page in order to receive your FREE consultation.
Call now: 856-778-8688
Enjoy the benefits of chiropractic – the largest natural, drug-free, surgery-free, expressive healthcare system in the world.
More and more families are discovering that periodic chiropractic checkups and adjustments promote health and healing without drugs and dangerous medical treatments.
More and more people are turning away from symptom treatment and choosing natural ways of achieving and maintaining health.
Tired of taking drugs and the medical runaround? Welcome to the world of chiropractic – discover how natural health can be.
This issue’s table of contents
- Neck and lower back pain
- Wear socks to bed …
- … But not a bra
- Questions and answers about chiropractic
- Traditional eating
- Harry & Bess
- Did you know?
- Researching chiropractic
- Success Story
Neck and lower back pain
Did you know that neck and lower back pain often accompany one another? Nearly every chiropractic patient who complains of chronic or even occasional lower back pain reports that they have occasionally woken up with neck pain or neck stiffness. Coincidence?
It’s no coincidence – although your spine is made up of many different spinal bones (vertebrae) going from your lower back (lumbar area) up to the top of your neck (cervical area), your spine is one entire unit. Therefore, each part can affect the other parts.
By the way, that includes more than your spine. Your entire body may be affected: your arms, hands, legs, feet, head, internal organs, brain, muscles, tissues, glands and more may be affected.
Now you know why chiropractic care is so powerful. When your subluxations are located and corrected, your entire body benefits in many ways. Chiropractic helps your nerves communicate better so all your parts work together more efficiently.
Wear socks to bed …
Swiss researchers found that people fell asleep quickest when their hands and feet were warmest. This happens because warm feet and hands cause blood vessels to enlarge, allowing more heat to escape your body, which in turn lowers your core temperature faster and causes you to fall asleep. Putting on socks may help you fall asleep in half the time it normally takes. (1)
… But not a bra
Bras, with their straps and hooks and especially underwires, dig into the skin and interfere with the flow of lymph through your lymphatic system. The result can be health problems that, apart from irritations, welts, indentations and cysts, include an increased risk of breast cancer. One 1991 Harvard study found that wearing a bra 24/7 increased the incidence of breast cancer by 100%. (2)
Questions and answers about chiropractic
Question: What diseases do chiropractors treat?
Answer: None of them and all of them. Chiropractic is not a treatment for named diseases but should be sought out no matter what conditions or diseases a person suffers from or is diagnosed with – back pain, depression, cold. flu, cancer, autism, allergies, asthma – everything from A to Z. How can that be? It’s because chiropractic’s purpose is to release subluxations – blockages or interferences in your body that prevent you from functioning at your best.
Think of chiropractic subluxation correction as you would good nutrition. What diseases do you need good nutrition for? All of them! The chiropractic message is simple: do not live with subluxations and do not let your children, your spouse and your friends and relatives live with subluxations.
One day going to the chiropractor for a subluxation checkup will be done by most everyone on a regular basis. We need to start more conversations with, “Hey, did you see your chiropractor this week?”
The greatest cancer fighter
The most powerful cancer fighter ever discovered is naturally-occurring vitamin D. One study found that low vitamin D significantly increases overall cancer risk. (3) While another study showed that the vitamin D you make from sunshine lowers your chances of dying from 15 kinds of cancer. (4) Another study found that vitamin D can lower the chance you’ll get cancer by 77% (5) and production in the skin decreases the likelihood you’ll get stomach, colorectal, liver and gallbladder, pancreas, lung, breast, prostate, bladder and kidney cancers. (6)
Vitamin D also enhances mood; boosts your immune system; prevents bone and muscle weakness; fights heart disease; prevents diabetes; fights arthritis, pain and inflammation; prevents Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
The easiest, safest and cheapest way (it’s free) to increase the amount of vitamin D your body produces is through regular exposure to sunlight, which is not easy, especially during the winter months. Many nutritionists therefore recommend 5,000 IU every day with the D3 form especially important.
Nutritional sources of Vitamin D include: fatty fish (like herring, sardines, tuna, mackerel, and salmon), beef liver, cheese and egg yolks.
Harry & Bess
It’s nice to reflect that America has been blessed with presidents who respected the traditional values on which our nation was founded.
Harry Truman, for example, probably made as many (or more) important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents preceding him. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.
The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence, Missouri. His wife had inherited the house from her mother and father and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.
When he retired from office in 1952 his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and, later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.
After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There was no Secret Service following them.
When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."
Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."
As president, he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.
Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale.
Harry Truman said, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference."
Did you know?
- The smallest bones in the human body are found in your ear?
- Cats spend 66% of their life asleep?
- Money is the number one thing that couples argue about?
- When lightning strikes, it can reach up to 54,000 degrees Fahrenheit?
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seems to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Bilateral sciatica in a 77-year-old man. The patient was examined for the presence of vertebral subluxation complex using infrared thermography, radiography and video fluoroscopy. Vertebral subluxations and a deviated sacrum were located. After 1½ months of care there was a marked reduction in sciatica symptoms. (7)
Two children with neurodevelopmental issues.
Case 1: An 11-year-old girl with ADHD. She had difficulties with reading comprehension, handwriting and mathematics. Since beginning chiropractic care, her social interaction and emotional state improved. By her 23rd visit she was in the A range and selected to be tested for the honors program. (8)
Case 2: Developmental delays in crawling and walking in a 13-month-old girl. The mother described the child’s crawling as a ‘scooting’ motion since the patient’s buttocks remained in contact with the ground. She also was not standing on her own or trying to walk. After four adjustments, she was crawling normally, had taken four steps unassisted, and had not performed the scooting motion since the second visit. (9)
Fatigue, loss of energy and depression in a 30-year-old male. He also complained of occasional headaches and acid reflux. Over an eight-month period the SF-36 general health survey demonstrated significant improvement particularly in the areas of General Health, Mental Health, and Mental Component Summary with improvements in fatigue and malaise. (10)
Headaches, Dizziness, Weight Gain, Brain Fog, and Skin Issues
I came to see Dr Horning with a long list of issues. I had headaches, dizziness, weight gain, brain fog, skin issues and frequent fungal infections. Dr Horning suggested ABC ( Advanced BioStructural Correction) and the yeast diet. Of course tired and worn out by my issues I went ahead with his suggestions. 4 months later I am 67 pounds plus lighter and I feel great most of the time! Turns out yeast can cause a whole mess of problems in our bodies.
Thank you Dr Horning for the knowledge
Did you ever wonder? …
- If you got into a taxi and the driver started driving backward, would the taxi driver end up owing you money?
- What would a chair look like if your knees bent the other way?
- Why is a carrot more orange than an orange?
- When two airplanes almost collide why do they call it a near miss? It sounds like a near hit to me!!
- Do fish get cramps after eating?
- Why are there 5 syllables in the word "monosyllabic"?
- Why do they call it the Department of Interior when they are in charge of everything outdoors?
- Why do scientists call it research when looking for something new?
- When I erase a word with a pencil, where does it go?
- Why is it, when a door is open, it's ajar, but when a jar is open, it's not a door?
- If you tell someone that there are 400 billion stars they'll believe you. So why, when you tell them the bench has wet paint, do they touch it?
- How come Superman could stop bullets with his chest, but always ducked when someone threw a gun at him?
- If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
Please write or stop by and give us your feedback. Are there any subjects you’d like to hear about? Anything you dislike? Feedback is always important to us. And, of course, if you’d like hard copies of this newsletter stop by the office and we’ll give you some for your friends and relatives. If they have email, have them write to us and we’ll add them to our subscriber list.
- Kräuchi K, Cajochen C, Werth E et al. Physiology: Warm feet promote the rapid onset of sleep. Nature. 1999;401:36-37.
- Singer SR, Grismaijer S. Dressed To Kill: The Link between Breast Cancer and Bras. (5th ed.). Pahoa, Hawaii: ISCD Press. 2014:12.
- Ordóñez-Mena J, Schöttker B, Haug U, Müller H, Köhrle J, Schomburg L, Holleczek B, Brenner H. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin d and cancer risk in older adults: results from a large German prospective cohort study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013;22(5):905-916.
- Grant WB, Garland CF. The association of solar ultraviolet B (UVB) with reducing risk of cancer: multifactorial ecologic analysis of geographic variation in age-adjusted cancer mortality rates. Anticancer Research. 2006; 26:2687-2699.
- Lappe JM et al. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation reduces cancer risk: results of a randomized trial. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2007;85(6):1586-1591.
- Tuohimaa P et al. Does solar exposure, as indicated by the non-melanoma skin cancers, protect from solid cancers: vitamin D as a possible explanation. Eur. J. Cancer. 2007;43(11):1701-1712.
- Cooper J, Asagar A. Improvement of bilateral sciatica utilizing the Pierce Results System™ to reduce subluxation: a case study & review of the literature. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. September 22, 2016:97-110.
- Rubin D, Brown S, Landi EJ et al. Combining chiropractic care with extinguishing of primitive reflexes: a case series of 8 children J. Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health. June 16, 2016:57-60.
Berg B. Resolution of fatigue, malaise & depression in a 30-year-old male following subluxation-based chiropractic care utilizing Gonstead Technique: a case study. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. February 29, 20