In our continuing quest to introduce more people (including children) to the
benefits of chiropractic care we are offering a complimentary consultation to see if chiropractic can help. Call the office for an appointment and bring in this page in order to receive your FREE consultation. Call now: 856-778-8688
Enjoy the benefits of chiropractic – the largest natural, drug-free, surgery-free, expressive healthcare system in the world.
More and more families are discovering that periodic chiropractic checkups and adjustments promote health and healing without drugs and dangerous medical treatments.
More and more people are turning away from symptom treatment and choosing natural ways of achieving and maintaining health.
Tired of taking drugs and the medical runaround? Welcome to the world of chiropractic – discover how natural health can be.
This Issue’s Table of Contents
- Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
- Please Avoid Hand Sanitizers
- Nourishing Traditions
- Speaking of Brain Health
- Did You Know?
- Researching Chiropractic
- Success Story
Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
Question: How young can a person be to receive chiropractic care?
Answer: All children, babies and infants can (and should) receive chiropractic care. Why? Don’t they have spines? Didn’t they go through the rigors of the birth process? Don’t kids run and play and fall and get hurt? What child has not had a trauma? Actually, a large number of infants are accidentally dropped or fall from a height (even the changing table or the bed). They all need their spines to be checked and, if needed, adjusted.
The illustration applies to every human: the spinal column (vertebral column or “backbone”), nerves coming out between the bones so the spinal cord and brain can communicate with the internal organs, blood vessels and glands (some are pictured).
Chiropractors locate and correct spinal subluxations, permitting the entire body to function at its optimum (including your child’s).
Please Avoid Hand Sanitizers
Don’t let them spray you! Get rid of the bottle of hand sanitizer! It’s got BPA—a poison that is absorbed through your skin.
What is BPA (bisphenol A)? It is an organic synthetic compound used to harden plastics. It's in baby bottles, sippy cups, baby formula cans, medical devices, compact discs, dental sealants, water bottles, the lining of canned foods and drinks, and many other products. While the hard outer shields of some pacifiers do have BPA, the nipple that the baby sucks on does not.
More than 90% of us have BPA in our bodies right now. We get most of it by eating foods that have been in containers made with BPA. (1)
It has been found to be an endocrine disruptor and is linked to cognitive impairments, male and female infertility as well as impotence. (2) BPA easily leeches out of the plastic into whatever it’s containing: water, food, infant formula, etc.
“Now, the six major companies that make baby bottles and cups for infants have stopped using BPA in the products they sell in the U.S. Many manufacturers of infant formula have stopped using BPA in their cans, as well.”(3)
What to do? Avoid plastics as much as possible, especially for eating and drinking and especially baby products. Use glass instead or paper. Especially avoid hand sanitizers (if your hands are dirty use soap and water).
Good nutrition for your brain and mental health
The brain is mostly composed of fat and yet the standard American diet (SAD) that most people eat is seriously fat deficient. Some of the most important vitamins for brain health (A, D, E, K) need fat in order for the body to absorb and utilize them and most people are fat deficient.
Dairy products from happy, grass-fed cows, eggs from happy chickens and organic foods are good for your brain and nervous system.
Organic foods are not grown with pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and Roundup® (glyphosate). There are also some foods that should be especially avoided because they depress and damage the nervous system such as refined sweeteners, artificial sweeteners (i.e. NutraSweet® [aspartame], Splenda®), MSG, GMOs (genetically-modified organisms), soy (depresses thyroid function), wheat (unless soaked, fermented and sprouted), vegetable oils (cause inflammation in the heart and blood vessels), margarine and “butter spreads.”
A vegan or vegetarian diet is often lacking in nutrients that support mental health such as vitamins A, D and B12 and minerals such as zinc and iron. Studies show that vegans and vegetarians suffer from more depression and anxiety.
For more information and references go to www.westonaprice.org.
Speaking of Brain Health
Avoid the flu shot
Most flu vaccines contain 25 mg of brain-cell (neuron) damaging mercury that has been linked to Alzheimer’s Disease and dementias as well as autism, immune system damage and neurological disorders. To ensure a healthy brain, don’t get a flu shot (especially if you are pregnant or even thinking about it).
Did You Know?
- About 90% of the world’s population kisses?
- Coca-Cola originally contained cocaine?
- The internet was originally called ARPANet (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) and was designed by the US Department of Defense?
- Toilets account for 35% of indoor water use?
- The fortune cookie was invented in San Francisco?
- All insects have 6 legs?
- The croissant was invented in Austria to celebrate the victory over the Muslim invasion of Europe?
- In eastern Africa you can buy beer brewed from bananas?
- African Grey Parrots have vocabularies of over 200 words?
- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue?
- Australia was originally called New Holland?
- "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English alphabet?
- Your foot has 26 bones in it?
- The average human brain contains around 78% water?
- 1 nautical knot equates to 1.852 kph (1.150 mph)?
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seems to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Concussion in two patients. The first patient is a 16-year old girl with vertigo, brain fog and headaches. She was suffering for 3 months after falling from a horse and receiving a head trauma. She was diagnosed with “post-concussion syndrome” by a neurologist.
The second patient is a 30-year-old woman suffering from migraine headaches and vertigo after she was in a motor vehicle accident where she struck her head against the steering wheel.
Both patients had no previous history of vertigo or headache prior to the described head trauma. They were each seeing an MD (neurologist) with no improvement in vertigo or headache symptoms.
After receiving chiropractic care, both patients reported reduction in frequency and intensity of headache and vertigo episodes. At a one-year follow up, the 30-year-old female experienced full resolution of headache and dizziness symptoms while the 16-year-old female experienced a re-occurrence of symptoms that resolved after another visit. (4)
Chronic otitis media and failed drug and antibiotic therapy. Acute otitis media (AOM) is very common among children with as many as 60% of children by the age of three having experienced at least one episode. Parents are scared because the child is often in pain and crying and many parents turn to various drugs and even ear tube surgery.
This is the case of one lucky 3-year-old child with a history of chronic ear infections who was brought in for care. She was given numerous rounds of over-the-counter medications and antibiotics that did not resolve the issue. She was finally scheduled for ear tubes (tympanostomy ventilation tube surgery).
Under chiropractic care subluxations were located in the child’s spine and she received spinal adjustments appropriate for her age and size.
After four visits (in two weeks) she was brought back to her pediatrician for further evaluation. The child’s medical doctor determined that her infection had cleared and the surgical procedure was cancelled. The patient’s mother elected to have her child receive chiropractic care on a wellness basis thereafter. (5)
Back pain in pregnancy. A 24-year-old in her 10th week of pregnancy was suffering from low back discomfort that began with her pregnancy. She also had prior upper back pain and tightness for the past two years. Her pains increased with prolonged standing or sitting, especially with bad posture.
The patient began chiropractic care. She had two visits a week for 3-4 weeks and once a week after throughout her pregnancy for a total of 16 visits over a 3-month period. She was able to work without pain and decided to continue her care throughout her pregnancy. (6)
ANKLE / FOOT Pain - GONE
I had really bad ankle pain when I woke and throughout the day. It was really difficult to do my favorite thing which is basketball. I tried PT but that didn’t work. After seeing Dr Horning I rarely feel any pain and I’m feeling much better.
Sara C. (age 16)
15 BEST THINGS TO SAY IF YOU GET CAUGHT SLEEPING AT YOUR DESK:
15. "They told me at the blood bank this might happen."
14. "This is just a 15-minute power-nap like they raved about in the last time management course you sent me to."
13. "Whew! Guess I left the top off the liquid paper."
12. "I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!"
11. "This is one of the seven habits of highly effective people!"
10. "I was testing the keyboard for drool resistance."
9. "Actually I'm doing a "Stress Level Elimination Exercise Plan" (SLEEP) I learned it at the last mandatory seminar you made me attend.”
8. "I was doing a highly specific yoga exercise to relieve work related stress."
7. "Darn! Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem."
6. "The coffee machine is broken...."
5. "Someone must've put decaf in the wrong pot."
4. "Boy, that cold medicine I took last night just won't wear off!"
3. "Ah, the unique and unpredictable circadian rhythms of the workaholic!"
2. "I wasn't sleeping, I was trying to pick up my contact lens without hands."
AND THE #1 BEST THING TO SAY IF YOU GET CAUGHT SLEEPING AT YOUR DESK:
1. The Facts About Bisphenol A.[Blog post]. Retrieved from: https://www.webmd.com/children/bpa#1
2. Hormann AM, vom Saal FS, Nagel SC et al. (2014) Holding thermal receipt paper and eating food after using hand sanitizer results in high serum bioactive and urine total levels of Bisphenol A (BPA). PLoS ONE 9(10):e110509. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0110509.
3. The Facts About Bisphenol A.[Blog post]. Retrieved from: https://www.webmd.com/children/bpa#1
4. Chung J. Improvement in post-concussion syndrome in two females using low-force upper cervical chiropractic care: a case series & review of the literature. Journal of Upper Cervical Chiropractic Research. August 31, 2019:48-55.
5. Lachowich TS, Alcantara J. Resolution of chronic, recurrent otitis media & avoidance of tympanostomy surgery following chiropractic in a three-year-old: a case report & review of literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic. September 23, 2019:109-112.
6. Porter M, Alcantara J. Resolution of back pain & sleep disturbance in a pregnant patient following chiropractic care using Webster Technique: a case report & review of literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic. November 5, 2019:117-121.