June 1, 2017
In our continuing quest to introduce more people (including children) to the
benefits of chiropractic care we are offering a complimentary consultation to see if chiropractic can help. Call the office for an appointment and bring in this page in order to receive your FREE consultation.
Call now: 856-778-8688
Enjoy the benefits of chiropractic – the largest natural, drug-free, surgery-free, expressive healthcare system in the world.
More and more families are discovering that periodic chiropractic checkups and adjustments promote health and healing without drugs and dangerous medical treatments.
More and more people are turning away from symptom treatment and choosing natural ways of achieving and maintaining health.
Tired of taking drugs and the medical runaround? Welcome to the world of chiropractic – discover how natural health can be.
This issue’s table of contents
- Asthma and Chiropractic
- Non-Vaccinated Children Are Healthier
- Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
- Traditional Eating
- Did You Know?
- But We Were Told It Was Good for Us
- Researching Chiropractic
- Success Story
Asthma and Chiropractic
Can chiropractic help asthmatics?
About one in 12 people in the United States now has asthma, a total of 24.6 million people, and an increase of 4.3 million since 2001…. The increases come, surprisingly, despite improved air quality throughout most of the country and widespread decreases in smoking.
During an asthmatic "attack" the little tubes that transport the air in your lungs (bronchioles) become swollen, go into spasm and fill with mucous. Asthmatics struggle for every breath, literally gasping and wheezing for life during an attack. In some unfortunate individuals wheezing, gasping and struggling go on continuously and long-time sufferers may develop a barrel chest. Attacks may be triggered by allergic reactions, emotional stress, physical exertion or irritants like cigarette smoke. The most dangerous form of asthma, status asthmaticus, is so severe it can result in death.
Asthma was almost never a fatal disease; medical folk-wisdom used to hold that no child ever died of asthma, but now asthma kills over 5,000 a year. It is the most common chronic condition in children.
Medicine offers no cure for asthma. Patients are told to avoid physical or emotional irritants and are given temporary relief with cortisone, inhaled corticosteroids or bronchodilators that prevent or reduce swelling inside the bronchi. These drugs may cause severe side effects including addiction.
Is a lifetime of drugs the only answer?
The Chiropractic Approach
Chiropractic is not a treatment or therapy for asthma and yet for over a hundred years asthma and sufferers of all types of respiratory conditions have sung the praises of chiropractic care. (2)
Typical among case histories is that of an 8-year-old diagnosed with asthma at age five who was using Beclovent™ and Albyterol™ 1-3 times per day. After eight chiropractic adjustments over a period of 2½ weeks, the child had stopped inhaler use, wheezing had ceased, he could run without gasping and was free of asthmatic attacks without medication.
Anyone with asthma, bronchitis, emphysema or other chronic lung conditions needs to ensure their lungs and bronchi are receiving uninterrupted nerve communication from their spines. Chiropractic is a healing art dedicated to keeping the nerve passages between the lungs, bronchi and other structures of the respiratory system open and unobstructed, thus permitting them to heal and to function at their utmost.
Non-vaccinated Children Are Healthier
New research reveals that non-vaccinated children are healthier than vaccinated children.
Put another way, vaccinated children are sicker than non-vaccinated children.
This peer-reviewed study was released online very recently. The study had been reviewed and accepted by two different journals, but both journals pulled back on their approval once the political implications of the findings became clear.
The study found that vaccinated children were much more likely than non-vaccinated children to be diagnosed with a neurodevelopmental disorder such as autism (4.7 times more) as well as ADHD (4.7 fold higher) and learning disabilities (3.7 fold higher). Also, fever was over 30 times higher in vaccinated children, while the risk of other allergies was increased as well. Vaccinated children were 22 times more likely to require allergy medication and had more than four times more learning disabilities than non-vaccinated children. In addition, vaccinated children were 2½ times more likely to be diagnosed with a chronic illness than non-vaccinated children. (4)
Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
What’s so bad about spinal surgery?
Spinal back surgery, also referred to as spinal fusion, is used to relieve back pain. Surgeons fuse the bones together in an operation that can last up to four hours.
Spinal surgery is very dangerous; it can cause blood clots in the legs that may travel to the lungs. It can also cause infection, heart attack or stroke during surgery, or damage to your spinal nerves causing pain, loss of sensation or weakness and triggering more problems later on.
But what’s even worse is that back surgery rarely cures chronic back pain. (5)
Chiropractic should be explored before anyone considers back surgery.
The majority of Americans are overweight, 5 out of six Americans will die of heart disease or cancer, over a third of American children will develop type ll diabetes and for the first time in our history American lifespan is decreasing. Poor nutrition is playing a major part in this deplorable situation. To reverse this trend we must avoid the bad fats and processed foods and only eat the good fats:
- Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils
- Cottonseed, soybean and vegetable oils
- Trans fats and margarine
- Butter (especially from raw milk and grass fed cows)
- Olive oil (cold pressed) and coconut oil
- Fish oil and avocados
- White sugar, white four, white rice
- High fructose corn syrup
- Aspartame, Nutrasweet, saccharine, sucralose (Splenda)
Did you know?
Bleeding, usually by the application of leeches, was once so common in medicine that “leech” came to mean physician. George Washington was one of many who died as a result of the pernicious practice.
But We Were Told It Was Good for Us
Diet Drinks, Stroke and Alzheimer’s
So many things we were told were good for us turned out to be bad for us. People thought margarine was better than butter – now they know margarine causes heart disease. People thought canola oil was a healthy oil but now we know it’s related to heart inflammation. We thought vegetable oils were better than animal fats but later the reverse was discovered.
So, here’s another thing we thought was good (or at least better) but is actually worse for us: diet soda.
Rather than keeping you slim it was found that diet drinks make you fat; the chemical that makes them sweet makes you crave carbohydrates. But the commercials show thin people drinking diet soda (the power of marketing).
And now it gets worse. A new study reveals that artificially sweetened soft drinks are associated with an increased risk of ischemic stroke and Alzheimer’s. In fact, even drinking just one artificially sweetened diet Coke or Pepsi a day was associated with a three times greater risk of later developing dementia and stroke.
The researchers found that people who drank a diet soda daily were three times more likely to develop a stroke caused by a blockage of blood vessels and 2.9 times more likely to develop dementia than those who drank an artificially sweetened soda less than once a week. (6)
As the old saying goes, “If your grandparents, or great grandparents didn’t have it, then don’t eat, drink, wash with or breathe it.
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seems to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Breech birth. A 35-year-old woman was 34 weeks pregnant when she came in for chiropractic care. She had a history of breech births and cesarean sections. This time she wanted a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC). She had heard chiropractic care can help a baby turn from a breech presentation to a more natural position.
Over the course of two weeks of care she had four chiropractic adjustments. The baby turned in a normal vertex position for a vaginal delivery and the patient went on to have a successful, natural, vaginal birth process with no reported complications. (7)
Stroke. A 58-year-old male presented to a chiropractic office complaining of left hip pain. He had suffered a stroke 18 years earlier (at age 40!) and still had been experiencing residual paralysis in both hands and widespread muscle spasticity. His right hand was involuntarily contracted in a complete fist. The patient’s medical doctor told him that these problems were permanent.
After 13 months of chiropractic care addressing his vertebral subluxations, the patient had improved control of fine motor skills, decreased muscle spasticity and was able to turn pages of a book with his right hand and lay his hand flat on a table with no assistance. The patient was also able to move well enough to put on his own jacket, button and zip it, with no assistance. He can now exercise on his Pilates machine, which he had been unable to do since before his stroke. Incidentally, the patient has not had to increase his eyewear prescription since beginning chiropractic care. (8)
Seizures in a four-year-old. A four-year-old boy was brought in for chiropractic care with the following symptoms: eye rolling, pursing of the lips, loss of balance, delayed speech and up to three seizures per day.
His neurologist diagnosed him with intractable frontal lobe epilepsy at the age of eighteen-months. He had been on antiepileptic drugs without improvement. The neurologist recommended that a frontal lobectomy be performed.
Chiropractic analysis revealed a subluxation of the C1 (atlas) vertebra that was corrected on his first visit.
At his second visit three days later the mother stated that he had not experienced any seizures since the first adjustment.
He has been under care for seven months and his parents report significant improvements in their son’s balance, speech and a significant decrease in eye rolling as well as significant improvement in coordination and overall quality of life. His seizures have decreased to about three a week so far. (9)
Sciatic Pain GONE
I am 82 years old and live in West Virginia. In early April I developed a sciatica nerve problem. The local physician put me on steroids and the discussion led to a type of shot or surgery.
I had plans for a trip to NJ so I thought I would see Dr Horning, whom I have been a patient for 30 some years.
I had 6 treatments which included an early Sunday morning. At this time I must return to WV. I feel 95% better and wish I could stay longer!
I plan to return in June and a visit to Dr Horning is most certainly on the agenda.
Dr Horning’s expertise and his care are very much appreciated.
PARAPROSDOKIANS: figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected; frequently humorous.
1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right – only who is left...
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening,' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
9. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
10. Buses stop in bus stations. Trains stop in train stations. On my desk is a work station.
11. I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.
12. In filling out an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency, notify:' I put 'DOCTOR.'
13. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
14. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
15. Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
Please write or stop by and give us your feedback. Are there any subjects you’d like to hear about? Anything you dislike? Feedback is always important to us. And, of course, if you’d like hard copies of this newsletter stop by the office and we’ll give you some for your friends and relatives. If they have email, have them write to us and we’ll add them to our subscriber list.
1. Maugh TH. Asthma rates increasing in U.S., despite less smoking and decreased air pollution. Los Angeles Times. May 3, 2011.
2. Leboeuf-Yde C, Pedersen EN, Bryner P et al. Self-reported nonmusculoskeletal responses to chiropractic intervention: a multination survey. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2005 Jun;28(5):294-302; discussion 365-366.
3. Peet JB. Case study: eight-year-old female with chronic asthma. Chiropractic Ped. 1997;3(2):9-12.
5. Whoriskey P, Keating D. Spinal fusions serve as case study for debate over when certain surgeries are necessary. Washington Post. October 27, 2013.
6. Sacco R, Himali JJ, Beiser AS et al. Diet drinks and possible association with stroke and dementia; current science suggests need for more research. American Heart Association Stroke Journal Report. April 20, 2017.
7. Drobbin D, McClain B. Resolution of breech presentation and successful VBAC in a patient undergoing Webster Technique: a case study & selective review of the literature. J Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health – Chiropractic. 2017;2:44-53.
8. Dunton T, Pallis RJ. Improvement in major residual effects of stroke following chiropractic care to reduce vertebral subluxation. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. April 17, 2017:64-71.
9. Lieberman B, Hapner-Petron S. Reduction of seizures in a four-year-old male with intractable frontal lobe epilepsy following upper cervical chiropractic care: a case study. J Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health – Chiropractic. 2017;2:57-64.