June 1, 2019
In our continuing quest to introduce more people (including children) to the
benefits of chiropractic care we are offering a complimentary consultation to see if chiropractic can help. Call the office for an appointment and bring in this page in order to receive your FREE consultation. Call now: 856-778-8688
Enjoy the benefits of chiropractic – the largest natural, drug-free, surgery-free, expressive healthcare system in the world.
More and more families are discovering that periodic chiropractic checkups and adjustments promote health and healing without drugs and dangerous medical treatments.
More and more people are turning away from symptom treatment and choosing natural ways of achieving and maintaining health.
Tired of taking drugs and the medical runaround? Welcome to the world of chiropractic – discover how natural health can be.
This Issue’s Table of Contents
- Chiropractic and Allergies
- Born Different
- Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
- Nourishing Traditions
- Researching Chiropractic
- Did You Know?
- Success Story
In This Issue …
Did you know that chiropractic has been a blessing to millions of allergy sufferers? Little hints on whether you need a chiropractic adjustment. What commercial foods are amongst the worst you can eat? Can a few minutes of exercise bring more benefits than an hour or more of exercise? Some more chiropractic miracles you probably didn’t know about and more! In this issue. Don’t forget the jokes!
Chiropractic and Allergies
Your immune system keeps you 100% natural, organic, unadulterated you! It recognizes and destroys anything not supposed to be in you: bacteria, viri, pollutants, dust, pollen, drugs, tumor, and even artificial hearts and donor organs. (Metal and plastic, however don't trigger an immune reaction.)
The most common immune system disorder is the allergy. That occurs when the immune system overreacts to an allergen (dust, pollen, milk, dog or cat dander, strawberries, etc.) and produces too many neutralizing chemicals (especially histamines) to counteract it.
The Medical Approach
Because runny eyes, irritation, redness, fullness in the sinuses and other allergy symptoms are caused by chemicals we produce known as histamines, antihistamines are often prescribed to counteract the symptoms caused by histamines. However, antihistamines can cause serious heart problems and should not be used with alcohol, sedatives or tranquilizers. Antihistamines do not get to the cause, but only deal with the symptoms of allergies.
The Chiropractic Approach
The cause of the allergies, the over-acting immune system, needs to be addressed and that is why allergy sufferers have praised chiropractic care for over a century. The goal of chiropractic care is to locate and correct a serious type of spine and nervous system stress called the vertebral subluxation complex (VSC). By releasing stress on the nervous system, chiropractic permits the immune system to function more effectively–something all allergy sufferers need. A nervous system with less stress improves immune system function.
One review of patients at a chiropractic college clinic found that pediatric patients commonly had complaints of allergy, ear infection, sinus problems, bedwetting, respiratory problems and gastrointestinal problems. Complete or substantial improvement occurred in 61.6%. (1)
Your nervous and immune systems are interrelated and the health of one affects the health of the other. For over a hundred years chiropractors have, by reducing the nervous system stress caused by vertebral subluxations, helped people adapt better to all the stresses in their environment, including those relating to allergies.
Gymnast with Down Syndrome Defies Doctors
Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
Question: How can you tell you need a chiropractic visit?
Answer: There are many ways. Some are obvious, some are not so obvious. Many people visit chiropractors because they are suffering, in pain or ill. Those are serious symptoms that you can’t miss. Everyone who is expressing symptoms needs a body free from subluxations (spinal nerve stress).
But there are also subtle signs something is not quite right – that you have subluxations – and if addressed early, will prevent or mitigate serious symptoms. These include:
- Can you turn your head more to one side than the other?
- Is one hip higher than the other?
- Is one shoulder higher than the other?
- Does one arm move out or up more than the other when walking?
- Does one foot flare out or in when walking?
- Is there a lack of energy?
- Are you unusually clumsy?
There are many other subtle body functions that chiropractors are trained to look for to determine if you need a chiropractic adjustment. Many are not painful – but they can ultimately wear down the body and create dis-ease or overall body malfunction that can lead to disease.
Some people “live with it” and hope their symptoms will go away. In many cases what we call disease are really disease symptoms. Rather than considering them as bad or something to get rid of, we should appreciate symptoms because symptoms are mechanisms the body uses to restore balance, detoxify and heal.
Avoid Commercial Vegetable Oils
Commercial fats and vegetable oils such as corn, canola, margarine, soy, cottonseed, sunflower, Crisco™ and others (not olive or flax seed oil) are inexpensive compared to animal fats but are some of the worst things you can cook with or put on your salad.
Commercial vegetable oils are produced under high pressure and temperature and have been found to increase the growth rates of tumors. Vegetable oils are polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) and are high in Omega 6 fatty acids. PUFAs are highly volatile and easily go rancid in the body. In this study it was found that PUFAs cause free radicals which inflame the cellular structures involved. Inflammation has been recognized as a cause of chronic illness such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, obesity and other conditions.
What should you use? The healthiest fats are the saturated fats such as butter, coconut oil, cream, ghee, tallow and lard. These oils and fats don't oxidize easily, and cause less inflammation and free radical formation in the body. They are also nourishing and help transport essential vitamins to all your cells. (2)
Drugs That May Lead to Suicide
It might seem counter-intuitive but anti-depressants are a major classification of prescription drugs linked to increased suicide risk. (3) However other drugs also lead to increased risk of suicide and these include:
1. Chantix™, stop smoking drug
2. Accutane™, an acne drug
3. Singulair™, an allergy drug
4. Certain epilepsy drugs
5. Tamiflu™, a flu drug
6. All cholesterol-lowering drugs (Lipitor™, Crestor™, etc.)
Even though the Amish don’t use automobiles, an enterprising Amish man started a buggy-for-hire. It’s the nation’s first on-call, horse-drawn taxi service. Charge? $5.00 per ride. But because he’s Amish he doesn’t use a phone or an app. How do you get him? You have to flag him down. (4)
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seems to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Breech presentation and low back pain. A 31-year-old woman who was 25 weeks pregnant and was suffering with low back pain sought chiropractic care. An analysis discovered vertebral subluxations in her cervical (neck), thoracic (midback), lumbar (low back) and sacroiliac (hip) regions. In addition, the baby was in a breech position. After nine chiropractic visits, her low back pain completely resolved and the breech fetal position of the baby resolved (the baby turned to a vertex [normal] fetal position). (5)
Bell’s Palsy. A 68-year-old man with drooping and paralysis of the left side of his face began chiropractic care. He was unable to close his eyelid, suffered from dry eye on the affected side and had difficulty eating, drinking and speaking. Previous medical care included prescription steroids and eye drops that were ineffective.
The patient had a total of four visits. By the third visit his face was 80-90% improved. After four visits, the patient’s facial paralysis completely resolved. (6)
9-year-old boy with Asperger’s Syndrome and anxiety disorder. A 9-year-old boy with Asperger’s Syndrome presented for care with complaints of neck, midback and low back pain, stomach aches and anxiety.
He was seen once a week for two months. His neck, midback and back pain resolved and there were improvements in his behavioral challenges as well. A month after beginning chiropractic care, the patient reported, “I had a GREAT day at school.” The patient’s mother commented that, “This never happens.”
More improvements were measured by the Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist and the PROMIS-25 parent proxy measure. (7)
Did You Know?
You can get more exercise in a 12-minute workout than in 90 minutes of exercise? It’s called high intensity interval training (HIIT) and it’s so simple – for 30-60 seconds you intensively run, or jump, or do something that makes your heart pump and your lungs heave. Then stop for a minute or two and do it again, a few times. So HIIT is made up of short, intense exercise with a recovery period.
Many people get bored and mentally “burned out” with 60 to 90 minutes of exercise. HIIT is a cure for that.
Back spasms, neck pain, leg numbness
I never experienced chiropractic care before this, but I felt relief after the first few sessions with Dr. Horning. Before this care, I was having back spasms every time I got out of bed and the pain in my lower back after running was horrible. Over the past year, my neck was also in pain any time I turned my neck to the left. I'm only 26 yrs old and I was feeling much older, so thanks to the recommendation of my cousin, I met with Dr. Horning and I haven't felt this good in a long time. Now I can run miles and my back never hurts!
I was previously diagnosed with MS and I thought a lot of my symptoms were the result of this, including numbness in my hands and occasionally my leg and the constant feeling of being crosseyed. My eye problems have already gone away along with the numbness in my leg!
Thank you all,
What's the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well dressed man on a bicycle? Attire.
1. "What time did the man go to the dentist? Tooth hurt-y."
2. "My dad literally told me this one last week: 'Did you hear about the guy who invented Lifesavers? They say he made a mint.'"
3. "A ham sandwich walks into a bar and orders a beer. Bartender says, 'Sorry we don't serve food here.'"
4. "Whenever the cashier at the grocery store asks my dad if he would like the milk in a bag he replies, 'No, just leave it in the carton!'"
5. "Why do chicken coops only have two doors? Because if they had four, they would be chicken sedans!"
6. "Me: 'Dad, make me a sandwich!' Dad: 'Poof, You’re a sandwich!'”
7. "Why did the Clydesdale give the pony a glass of water? Because he was a little horse!"
8. "Me: 'Hey, I was thinking… ' My dad: 'I thought I smelled something burning.'"
9. "How do you make a Kleenex dance? Put a little boogie in it!"
10. "Whenever we drive past a graveyard my dad says, 'Do you know why I can’t be buried there?' And we all say, 'Why not?' And he says, 'Because I’m not dead yet!'”
1. Nyiendo J, Olsen E. Characteristics of 217 children attending a chiropractic college teaching clinic. JMPT. 1988;11(2):78-84.
2. Reeve VE, Bosnic M, Boehm-Wilcox C. Dependence of photocarcinogenesis and photoimmunosuppression in the hairless mouse on dietary polyunsaturated fat. Cancer Letter. 1996 Nov 29;108(2):271-279.
4. Lastoe S. Amish man offers Uber rides via his horse and buggy. CNN Travel. August 7, 2018. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/amish-uber-service/index.html
5. Feltz K, Dietrich D. Ultrasound confirmed resolution of breech presentation & low back pain in a pregnant patient following chiropractic care: a case study & review of the literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic. April 25, 2019:41-49.
6. Preece S, Alcantara J. Resolution of Bell’s Palsy in a 68-year-old man following correction of upper cervical subluxation: a case report & review. Journal of Upper Cervical Chiropractic Research. April 30, 2019:28-35.
7. Stone L, Alcantara J. Improvement in behavior, anxiety & pain following chiropractic care in a 9-year-old boy with Asperger’s Syndrome and anxiety disorder: case report & review of the literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic. April 8, 2019:28-35.